Monday, October 6, 2008

Bright Light at the End of the Tunnel?

I have expressed my concern to anyone who will listen about how I DO NOT want Grace to be born on Christmas or circa Christmas. A lot of you have been extremely supportive and told me to look at the bright side of being a Christmas baby.
  • A Christmas baby will never have to work on their birthday.
  • They will always be with their family on Christmas. (This could be a good thing or a bad thing, right?)
  • They will get double the amount of presents. (I know you guys are just trying to be positive but there is no reason to lie!)

Even with all your uplifting comments, I am still convinced that there isn't a worse day of the year to be born than December 25th.

My anxiety over this potential birthday has kept me up many a night. Finally, I decided to address it with my doctor. I mean if Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie can schedule an appointment for their babies to enter the world, why can't I?

I didn't know how to approach the doctor about this subject. Being a physician, he is obviously conservative and being a physician in YAKIMA, WASHINGTON, he is more than likely wicked conservative. So inducing labor probably doesn't fall too high on his priority list. But because it fell so high on mine, I figured it was worth a verbal lashing or two about putting the concern of the baby before it's birthday...yadda yadda.

So at our last appointment I broached the subject with my doctor by asking him if he had any tricks up his sleeve (preferably Superman strength inducing drugs) for making the baby come before Christmas?

He lectured me a bit on wanting things to be as natural as possible - MINUS the epidural of course - but that he would not let the pregnancy go more than a week past my due date. Hallelujah!!! Reiterating my hatred for December 25th birthdays, he even went as far to say that we might be able to fudge the due date a bit to get things moving a bit sooner! Are those angels I hear singing??

Thrilled about the good news, I was all a twitter on the ride home after the appointment.

Katie: Aren't you so happy that Grace won't be born on Christmas?
Court: I guess. I still don't get what the big deal is about being born on Christmas. Birthdays aren't a big deal. It is just a day.
Katie (thinking to herself): What the ****?!??!?!?!
Katie (out loud): Birthdays are a big deal for little girls. Birthday parties. Cupcakes at school (although I hear they - meaning the "fun police" who ruin just about everything these days (i.e. no drinking while pregnant) - have banned cupcakes at school too). Slumber parties...
Court (with a knowing smile): ...Presents.
Katie: You are going to be a great father!
***************************************************************************
Another bit of (related) good news....I met a woman this past weekend whose due date with her first child was December 13. Her baby ended up coming early and was born on NOVEMBER 30th!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! Granted, her child was born over 40 years ago so technology wasn't what it is today, but stranger things have happened than a baby being born 13 days early, right?! Maybe there is light at the end of this nine month long tunnel!!
Although....
MY birthday is December 2 so we don't want her coming too early. Crap!! This parenthood thing definitely stirs up lots of extremely important things to worry about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny with your blog, I love it! I remember the best slumber parties being at YOUR house! Hope all is well!