Thursday, July 22, 2010

Big Baby on Board

Yesterday, I had my 31 weeks doctor appointment. My doctor walked into the room and before even saying hello asked, "Did you really have a nine pound baby last time?!"

"Uh...yes. 9 lbs. 3 oz. to be exact."

"Hmmm...for some reason I don't remember that..."

"Well, I do!!"

Then he went on to tell me that most people have big babies because they have gestational diabetes. He quickly flipped through his chart because at my last appointment I did all the blood work to see if I was going to be living out the last few weeks of this pregnancy eating only boiled chicken and broccoli.

"Huh." He said dumbfounded. "No gestational diabetes for you. All your blood work looks completely normal." He said this as his eyes lowered and came to a rest on my bulging tummy as if he was completely stumped as to how I could be so big.

To make him feel better, I told him that big babies run in the family. That seemed to snap him out of it.

"Well, you had no problems last time so I don't foresee any this time. What I can tell you is that this baby is going to be big."

As if there were any doubt. Thanks Doc! Tell me something I don't know!

1 comment:

Jody said...

I can't wait to hear the size of your Baby #2 when she arrives! I hear your nervousness though. They say that subsequent babies just get bigger and bigger. If that is true, you and I might be SOL. :)