Monday, August 5, 2013

Birthday Celebration

Court was kind enough to turn a year older over the weekend. He's not really a birthday-celebrating-kind-of-guy but when my sister graciously offered up her babysitting skills, the birthday celebration was on!

With Molly in charge, we hit the road for one of our favorite, close-to-home (but not too close) destinations - Walla Walla. We arrived early afternoon with enough time to walk around downtown - which we hadn't done in ages! There were so many new restaurants, wineries and stores! We did stop into a new patisserie and scored big time when we ordered their peach and blackberry pie tart thingy. 
It. Was. So. Good. 
I could have eaten three - before dinner - but we were responsible and split one. 
Why is it SO hard to be good?


Meanwhile, our munchkins were partaking in their own patisserie a la Auntie Molly!

Soon it was time to head for dinner where we sat for over three uninterrupted hours eating and drinking and talking. So fun!

Side note: My track record of mis-hap packing for date nights continues. Remember this? 


Brought my black shoes - but two different shoes.
Doh!

This time I brought a matching pair but for whatever reason, they didn't fit. They were too big...or it was hot and my feet were sweaty and sliding every which way. Either way, they were ill-fitting four inch heels - not a good combo under the best of circumstances.
Ever been out and seen a girl clodding along like a linebacker in high heels, than you know exactly what I was up to on Saturday night. If I tried to walk on my toes, my heels would slip out and I'd trip. If I walked heel first, my stride and balance were all off making me look a grizzly bear prancing in a circus. Not pretty.
I didn't get up to go to the bathroom until the end of dinner and only because I thought I was going to explode. The thought that I could potentially tumble in the middle of a restaurant in my mid-30s because I didn't 'test run' my heels was enough to risk an even more humiliating accident. Luckily, that is why God made alcohol!

Regardless of my ongoing inability to appropriately dress my self far into adulthood, we had a great time! In the morning, we hit the breakfast buffet and then made our way back home. Short but sweet!



It's amazing how long you yearn for some quiet, peaceful time away. But when it finally happens, it somehow doesn't feel as glorious as you anticipated. Don't get me wrong, there is some gloriousness - it's just short lived. Before you know it, the clock starts ticking - counting down the time until you get to come home - and you can't wait!

Happy birthday Court!



1 comment:

Amy said...

Yay! I'm glad you were able to get out. Sounds like you had a good time! And I know what you mean. On the rare occasion that my husband and I get out alone together, I am constantly aware of the time ticking away. Reminding me that we need to go home soon. Sigh........