Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sleep Wanted and More Vacay Pics

On my Costco run this morning I noticed that the 'Burban is just about to hit a major milestone.


Dreading what kind of service is required at a 100,000 miles.

In other news, sleep, bedtime and nap time, have become an epic battle around here.
Not sure if the girls haven't readjusted to our time zone or what but I am pretty sure I am going to lose my mind if I don't get this nipped in the bud ASAP!

Both girls have suddenly developed a fear of the dark and a hatred of bedtime. Charlotte used to run to her room when I said it was bedtime. Now she'll go up to her room only if I promise to "rock her." So we read stories, we rock and she gets tucked in. Then the waterworks start. Hysterical tears because she wants me to stay with her until she falls asleep. The first few times this happened, I obliged, and she fell asleep in two minutes. It has evolved into a two hour ordeal. 
If I leave, she cries or sneaks out of her room while I am getting Grace ready for bed. If I leave after she's asleep she has some sixth sense and wakes up as I am stealthily creeping out of her room.
Then the process starts all over again. 

Meanwhile, Grace wants me to stay with her until she falls asleep (which to her benefit takes about 30 seconds). So you can see how this is not only time consuming and exhausting, but it is really cutting into the time Court and I have to talk, catch-up on each others days or to discuss anything important.

In the last few days, I've tried skipping Charlotte's nap thinking that way she'll be REALLY ready to sleep at bedtime. The first day it worked perfectly and I was so happy with myself that I'd finally figured this out. Grace went to bed just minutes later and Court and I had an entire evening to ourselves. The first in AGES!
The next night, it was back to the same mess and yesterday, while I was making dinner, she fell asleep on the couch.


 Of course, the late nap threw bed time off even more. It took her so long to fall asleep that I fell asleep in her room while waiting for her to fall asleep!!

I humbly beg for any thoughts or advice to make this situation better.
Probably gonna have to have a few cry it out nights, huh?
UGH! I hate those!

Anyway, let's try to end this with a few happy, warm thoughts especially since a horrible wind advisory in effect at the moment. I know wind isn't nearly as bad as the amount of snow that has been dumped on the east coast this winter, but it is horrible in it's own way. Regardless, we are trapped in doors. So on with the pics!

We spent an entire day exploring the north side of the island. It was beautiful, green and definitely made us want to watch Blue Hawaii and Jurassic Park! ha!





Pretty sure that Halele'a is the place they speak of in the song Puff the Magic Dragon.





Do you see the kayaker in the picture above?



Do you recognize this cottage?


Or this one?


I'll give you a hint. Both were in a recent movie with an actor that rhymes with Schmorge Schooney.


They are located around this little bay - apparently THE surf spot for locals!

We got out and watched the surfers! As I like looking at the ocean much more than being in it, I was surprised that I had the sudden urge to learn to surf. 







We took our lunch break at the St. Regis where we were treated to some amazing views...





and a pretty sensational brunch!






It was a beautiful old hotel that really capitalized on its views!


The main chandelier in the lobby caught my eye. I thought it looked like a school of jellyfish.
(Do jellyfish swim in schools?!?!)


Grace was in a fantastic mood and being so silly.


Charlotte was an absolute angel!

It truly was a vacation day well spent!

No comments: