Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Big Easy Ya'll...And then Some!

So the once a week blogging thing didn't happen but two posts in a month is a record for 2014! Baby steps!

Since my last entry, a few quick pic recaps.

Grace started t-ball. She loves it!


Charlotte isn't quite old enough yet but she thinks she is!


Grace and Charlotte had their ballet recital. They are almost unrecognizable with their hair! They were so cute all dolled up and Charlotte loved everything about it - especially the makeup! Grace wanted nothing to do with the fru-fru.







We had a father's day celebration celebrating Court's dad post-recital but I didn't take any pictures. The following day, we drove to Boise, for another father's day celebration. I didn't take any pictures of the fathers, but I did catch some great shots of a very important uncle!







This was taken about two minutes before Grace tripped and almost face planted into a tree. Tears ensued. So did wine. Probably why I didn't get too many pictures of the evening! We had a fabulous dinner - all of us together. The only thing missing was Molly and Kevin. The next morning, we all felt like how Charlotte looked upon wakeup!



Then it was off to Sun Valley for a few more days of family fun!


Cousins! All wearing swimsuits with mermaid tail coverups that I made because they all LOVE swimming and mine especially are enthralled with mermaids!!

After just two quick sleeps it was back to Boise for the last night before an adult only trip to New Orleans! Yes, that's right! Court and I were able to sneak away for a few days without the girls! We've been looking forward to a getaway for a long, long, looong time! All the pieces of the puzzle finally came together.

Well almost.

Our flight through Minneapolis on our way to NOLA was delayed - by several hours due to severe storms - so we in turn missed our connecting flight to the Big Easy. Our first night was spent in Minneapolis, quickly putting together hotel and dinner reservations - not to mention re-booking flights - all on our little phones. Yes, it was one less night in New Orleans but it was an adventure and it all worked out BEAUTIFULLY!

We hit up three bars in one night under one roof! We didn't have to go outside at all which was great because of the storm!



We also managed to get a last minute reservation because of a cancellation at the best steakhouse in the city - Manny's! It was like we were meant to be there!

The next day we made it to our intended destination! This was my first time in the south - other than Texas - and it was delicious! We ate nothing but good food and wine. NOTHING!



Of course, we walked Bourbon street. You see the pictures - like these…


but nothing prepares you. Bourbon street is like nothing else. It's crowded and dirty. Seedy and energizing. Music of every kind and it puts any other people-watching-place on Earth to shame! Honestly, it is probably nothing I need to do again at this point in my life, (I wonder how I would have felt about it ten years ago?) - but soo glad we did it! Now I know what to prepare myself for when Grace and Charlotte go there someday.



The next day we had a much calmer walk through the French Quarter. We did as much browsing and walking as one can do when both the temperature and the humidity rise into the 90s. I did manage to find a Christmas store open for business on the first official day of summer! Boom!





My first time seeing the Mississippi!




Then, it was off to eat more food on our last night without the kids.




Not sure Grace and Charlotte would have enjoyed this guy on their plates. 


I am not experienced with eating crawfish and to any true southerners in the restaurant watching me  eating this, I am sure I was quite entertaining. 

Another first - beignets. Everyone kept talking them up so much! I mean what's not to love? Fried dough with powder sugar heaped on top. Sounds like my kind of treat! After my crawfish dinner, we raced across town to Cafe du Monde - THE place for beignets. And folks, I have to be honest. I did NOT enjoy the beignets. In fact, I think I had two bites and called it quits. Perhaps, it was the ambiance. Think gigantic tourist trap. Perhaps it was the end-of-the-trip-blues. Perhaps, it was the amazing desserts I'd had the two nights prior. 


Um yeah. Might've been this that ruined the beignets for me! hahah


Court stayed on for a few more days for a meeting while I flew home (flights all on time! Phew!) to get the girls! Oh it was so great to see them! It really felt like they had grown so much in just three short sleeps! I don't know how anyone leaves theirs kids for more than a few days. Not only do you miss them, but at this age, they seem to change overnight!

Speaking of changes, Grandma and Auntie Molly took the girls to a "real" salon for a day of beauty (aka much needed haircuts)!





It is so great sneaking away. Court and I much prefer to bring the girls with us an spend time together as a family. Traveling without the girls is bittersweet, but returning home to happy girls makes it sooo much easier! Thank you Mom, Dad, Molly and Johnny-roo! You all pitched in to make those three days a success! Now onto the vacation from the "vacation"…I wish!


No comments: