Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Word to the Wise

It is a natural phenomenon for women who are pregnant to gain weight. I know this. However, I think people assume (fellas - you are most guilty of this) that pregnant women, because they are pregnant, are comfortable with the fact that they will gain weight.

Let me make one thing clear right now. No woman, pregnant or not, is comfortable gainng weight. She may understand the necessity of gaining weight while pregnant for the health of the baby, but in no way is she comfortable watching the scale creep higher and higher on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

With that said, it is my personal belief that it is never ok to tell a woman, pregnant or not, that she is gaining weight or looks pregnant.

Today, I was told that I looked "big" and that I looked "like a mom." The perpetrator of these comments not only blatantly pointed out my weight gain but also indicated, by waving his hands over his face and then puffing out his cheeks, that my face was bigger. I thought I was going to cry. I mean I look like a mom?? What does that mean?? My jeans aren't hiked up to my armpits, I don't drive a mini-van and I don't have "helmut-head-mom-hair."

I know I have gained weight. I am not in denial. I can't escape the numbers on the scale every morning. However, that does not give anyone the right to make comments. The only comments that should be made to a pregnant woman is that she looks beautiful or that she is glowing (she will know you are full of shit when you say this but it is better than telling her the truth). Everything else is cold hearted and evil - at least that is how a pregnant woman's raging hormones take it and that is definitely how mine take it every time I hear that "I am bigger."

pregnancy due date

No comments: